CHE654: Computer Application for Chemical Engineering Practice
Academic Year 2022, Semester 1
This course is taught by Asst. Prof. Dr. Hong-ming Ku and Dr. Alisa Kammafoo. The aim of the course is to train ChEPS students in the use of the chemical process simulator called ASPEN Plus (A+) and MATLAB, which are crucial engineering tools for process engineers. Many thesis and site projects will involve process simulation and modeling. Students will learn the fundamentals of process simulation and how to use MATLAB as equation solvers and a programming language.
Course Syllabus and Lecture Slides
Download the course syllabus here.
Homework and Exercise Problems
Download a copy of "CHE654 Homework & Exercise Problems, Ver. 2022" here.
Your homework has been selected from this exercise book as follows:
1. Homework Set 1: #1, #2, #5, #9, #11, and #14. Download Answer Sheet 1 here.
2. Homework Set 2: #15, #17, and #20. Download Answer Sheet 2 here.
3. Homework Set 3: #21, #22, #24, and #26. Download Answer Sheet 3 here.
4. Homework Set 4: #27, #29, #30, #32, and #33. Download Answer Sheet 4 here.
5. Homework Set 5: #36, #39, #41, and #42. Download Answer Sheet 5 here.
6. Homework Set 6: #46, #47, #49, and #50. Download Answer Sheet 6 here.
7. Homework Set 7: #51, #53, #54, #56, #58, and #59. No answer sheet to download.
8. Homework Set 8: #68, #71, #73, and #75. No answer sheet to download.
9. Homework Set 9: #77, #78, #80, and #82. No answer sheet to download.
References and Papers
1. Download: A+ Getting Started - Building and Running a Process Model (Version 8.4)
2. Download: Is Process Simulation Used Effectively in ChE Courses?
3. Download: Don't Gamble with Your Physical Properties?
4. Download: Don't Let Recycle Streams Stymie Your Simulations
5. Download: Uncovering the Realities of Simulation, Part 1
7. Download: A Guide to MATLAB for ChE Problems Solving by Prof. Kip Hauch
8. Download: Introduction to MATLAB by Prof. Robert Pinnick
9. Download: MATLAB Applications in Chemical Engineering by Prof. James A. Carnell
Timetable of Oral Presentations
Proposal Presentations - Thursday, Sept 1, 1:30 pm
Progress I Presentations - Thursday, Sept 15, 1:30 pm
Progress II Presentations - Thursday, Sept 29, 1:30 pm
Final Presentations - Thursday, Oct 20, 1:30 pm
Final report due - Monday, Oct 31, by midnight
List of 6 Plant Design Projects
Download the group, project, and English advisor assignments here.
Download the common project problem statement here.
Project 1: Design of an MTBE Production Process
Project 2: Design of a Diethyl Ether Production Process
Project 3: Design of a Drying Oil Production Process
Project 4: Design of an Ethylene Oxide Production Process
Project 5: Design of a Dimethyl Ether Production Process
Project 6: Design of a Maleic Anhydride Production Process
Here is a booklet on Technical Report Writing Guidelines.